Monday, November 23, 2015

An update before Thanksgiving

Hi Everyone,
I don't think it's been too long since I've sent an update, but I'm a bit confused. Each day seems kind of like a year here.  We are still waiting, living out of suitcases and in transition.  Kris goes to work every day but hasn't been issued his badge so hasn't really started DOING anything yet.  It's an odd place to be in when we'd like to be getting "settled".  But, it's time together so I'm thankful for that!   

After accepting our offer and then taking over two weeks to sign a contract, we finally got the executed  binding contract about 10 days ago.  (Current address: 1221 Longpoint Drive, Augusta, GA 30906.  Sometime in December address: 847 Prairie Lane, Evans, GA 30809.) With that, I was able to get the kids started at River Ridge Elementary.  It's a big change from what we are all used to... there each have about 100+ kids in each of their grades with their own year group hallway.  Parents don't wait on the school grounds to drop off/pick up the kids.  You either wait in a long car line (like at the airport!) or they take the bus.  It's going to be a bit more difficult to meet people here, I think.  But I'm sure you get to know those in your neighborhood a bit more...as when, we have our new house, the kids will take the bus which picks them up just outside the house.  Pretty cool!   They did 5 days of school and now we're on a week long break (a new thing down here in Georgia, and kind of like our "half term" breaks we're used to in England).  I'm still praying for them as although they are doing well (Rosie winning her grade spelling bee and achieving a reading level of 4.3 as a new 3rd grader; Logan aced his spelling test and taught the class about some water creatures...) but they haven't "connected" yet with any kids.  I know it will happen, but it's just going to take some time.

We had a great visit with Mike and Jan and had a great balance of fun and rest together.  The kids were able to just spend time with Grandma and Grandpa here at the temporary house, and we did get out to see the County fair, a small town nearby called Harlem and check out a lock and dam on the Savannah River (which I think I will be spending a lot of time walking/running/bike riding that path!  It's gorgeous and not far the kids' new school!)

Because we don't have a lot "we have to do" we have been trying to get out and see some stuff around the area.  It's going to be very busy once we finally close on the house, get our stuff (from England and storage) and then head up north to see family for Christmas.  The plan right now (pending house closing and Navy leave approval) is to head to WI on 19 December and then head to MN on the 25th. We saw the All American Lumberjack company from MN do a show at a nearby  town the other weekend and then this past weekend we drove to Atlanta to meet up with old friends who were there for a theological conference.  That was pretty neat to be able to do!  We did get to talk with another friend who was in Atlanta earlier in the week but weren't able to meet up in person.

God has blessed us with another family in this temporary location who have three little people and a Mom who stays home while Dad works at Fort Gordon as well.  Karolina and I have gotten together a few times with the kids for play dates and it's nice to have her there for an adult to talk with.  Our church search has continued between the LCMS Lutheran church and the WELS Lutheran church.  I continue to pray that God shows us which one is right for our family as both have pros and cons and I'm not sure which will suit our family yet.  I'm anxious to "settle" down at a church soon and have to remind myself it has to be on God's time, not mine!

I guess that's it.  So from our family to yours, I pray that you stay safe, sane and happy with the upcoming busy Advent and holiday season.  Try to remember what's ultimately the most important thing(s) in your life and focus on those, not the "to do" lists, the fear of terror and other things.  Love you!

Logan and TJ playing in the warm rain out back.  Logan was practicing spitting watermelon seeds because.... well, why wouldn't you?

It's Pippy Longstocking!  Oh wait, it's Pearl.
Rosie inventing stuff to do...
Happy birthday Grandpa Mike!

TJ just chilling out...




Books with Grandma

Books with Grandpa.

At the Laurel & Hardy Museum in Harlem, GA

THIS was a huge pizza!!!  Haven't seen one like this in years....
I thought this was a neat shot!

Playground fun with Grandpa

Jan & Kris "resting" at the playground

The Savannah River/Augusta Canal trail
Military tribute at the Canal.
One of the waterfalls on the Augusta Canal Trail
Downtown Augusta

#GalaxyGirl at the Columbia County Fair
Human Cannonball .... amazing!

Warren County Festival

All American Lumberjack Show

The first contest

Logan was a target for the wasp again!  Poor kid.

Rosie & Logan had a go at log rolling and loved it!

1st day of 3rd grade (Rosie) and 1st Grade (Logan) at River Ridge Elementary, Evans, GA

This is the "car line" we wait in to drop off and pick up every day
This was the 3rd grade performance of "Giraffe's Can't Dance" (Rosie not pictured as she didn't want to join the grade after only having 3 days to practice the show.) 

Didn't think we'd ever see temps like this in GA!  Wish we had a our coats and hats and mittens!

Pearl & TJ enjoying some Mommy time after dropping Rosie and Logan off to school.

Lunch with  Jim Prothro & Jonathan Mumme in Atlanta

Face or dolphin?

Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta

World of Coca Cola had some neat decorations to play in and on!

No, he didn't sit ON them!



4 comments:

  1. A shame several of your photos didn't come through, but looks like you folks are having a good time exploring until you can get settled. Congrats on the house! Hoping you'll be in it with time to spare before Christmas (not like us in London, who moved into the flat on Dec 23!).

    Have a lovely Thanksgiving. We'll be flying to FL on Tues to spend it with Mike's family - supposedly the last "BIG WARE THANKSGIVING"...we'll see!
    Love to all,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There! Got it to work Sharon. Safe travels to you and Mike. Are you flying or driving?

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure why the photos are not showing up all; they do on the preview! Will try to do some maintenance and get them working...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the good pictures of everyone. Hopefully, after the Christmas break the kids will feel more at home in their own house and school.

    ReplyDelete